Saturday, September 17, 2011

Adventures in Book Publishing!

For the past seventeen years, I have participated in every aspect of publishing imaginable. First, I was a writer. Next, an editor. Then I became a typesetter and even tried my hand at cover design. Finally, after a long foray into academia, I settled into my life's work: publishing. I currently teach writing, visual communication, and other English/Communication classes at Arizona State University. I am also the publisher of Sourced Media Books--a new, traditional indie publishing house. I also teach a course on writing for professional publication at Arizona State University.

I am one of those people who learns best from experience. I'm the jump-in-get-your-feet-wet type of person and can tell you I have made every mistake . . . once. I'm also quick to take advice from experienced pros and change course when I see myself going in the wrong direction.

After years of trying practically everything once, I can tell you all about traditional publishing, self-publishing, royalties, fees, agents, social media, and publicists from experience. I'm writing this blog to share what I know--so readers don't have to experience it all the hard way!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Amy, we need to talk to you and get your expertise. We are out traveling the world getting photos for our new books hopefully to get published before Christmas! Call us crazy - its okay we are. Saw your blog on FB by Alicia McBride. Our company is E3 Imagine you can see what we are doing on FB or our website. My email is liz@e3imagine.com if you have time, maybe you can send an email and we can get some good advice from you.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy this has come at the perfect time. I have a children's book half down on paper and half still in my head. I have no idea what I am doing. I just know that I am supposed to do this. I would love any help and advice you could give me. My email address is Dawndf@hotmail.com.
    Thanks, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dawn, That is great! What is your book idea?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Liz! Can't wait to hear about your book! Send me an email to amy@sourcedmediabooks.com with a one-page summary about the purpose, audience, scope, schedule, and format of your book. I LOVE your mission to donate one book for every book sold!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Amy, I am a friend of your mom (I love & adore her) and she has been sncouraging me to write a book. My problem is, I don't know where to begin! There is SO much to say! PLEASE HELP! Several others have emailed me & told me that I need to write one too. I love writing and have always used writing as a means of therapy . It always feels good to get it all out on paper or on my laptop.
    Your mother is so very proud of you and loves you dearly! Your family is amazing! What a blessing to have each other and the Gospel. I hope that all is going well for you. Take care and God Bless.

    With Best Wishes,

    Vicki Peterson

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much, Vicki! I would love to help however I can. What is your book idea? If you would prefer to exchange privately, go to amy@sourcedmediabooks.com. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete